Summer 2015 - Constructing Mathematical Understanding
This course is designed for pre-K, elementary, and middle school educators. Participants will experience a fun and theme based way to teach math across all the subject areas! This hands-on interactive course offers techniques for teaching math concepts through a variety of student learning style approaches. In addition, we highlight how to blend these varied techniques with traditional teaching methodologies and grade level requirements. Learn new ways to use manipulatives for teaching new concepts, extending current understandings as well as for easy and detailed assessments.
The techniques explored in this course will work in conjunction with your existing curricula. Nobody attending this course will be "put on the spot" to share their mathematical skills, so whether you are a math expert or not, you will have fun while learning new techniques to take back to your classrooms.
- Explore ways to use a theme to weave math into your literature, science, writing and social studies projects.
- Learn how to introduce, refine and extend specific math concepts for your students through the use of hands-on materials.
- Develop teaching and assessment techniques that align with various levels of student understanding and curricular standards for each math strand.
- Enhance your ability to create learning activities that address the diverse student learning styles within a classroom.
- Apply these new concepts and techniques directly to your school's current math curriculum.
Please contact Shanthi Raghu by email if you have questions.